Day respite programs provide an important service for carers, particularly those caring for loved ones with dementia. They can also offer many benefits for those being cared for as well, including social interaction and access to new experiences.
What is day respite?
Day respite offers support to people with high care needs and their carers, providing a break for carers to take care of other areas of their lives while giving those being cared for access to meaningful social interaction and activities.
Why is day respite important?
Day respite provides a range of benefits for both carers and their loved ones:
- Gives carers time for themselves to look after other aspects of their lives
- Promotes wellness for carers, allowing them to recharge their batteries to continue in their caring role and provide quality care
- Can help people remain living in their own home for longer
- Supports social participation for those with higher care needs that may be at risk of feeling isolated in their own home
- Allows those with higher care needs to take part in activities they enjoy
What activities are offered by day respite programs?
Day respite programs are offered in a range of settings, including:
- Specialised day respite centres
- Residential Aged Care facilities
- Community programs
In the case of centre-based day respite programs, activities include individual and group sessions tailored to suit the needs of the attendees. These activities can include:
- Music therapy
- Pet therapy
- Arts and craft
A quality day respite service will access the needs of each attendee to tailor a program that helps them get the most out of their day.
Seasons Sinnamon Park Day Respite Centre Open Morning
Seasons Sinnamon Park’s Day Respite Centre in Brisbane’s Western suburbs is open to residents and the broader community. This expansive, purpose-built indoor/outdoor space is designed with sensory therapy in mind and consists of seven areas – the activity zone, visual quiet zone, kitchen, dining, lounge room, outdoor activities and a bedroom for those who need a rest.
Included in the attendance cost is a care assessment to determine the individual care needs and preferences of each attendee and to help program the day’s activities.
Discover the centre for yourself at the Seasons Sinnamon Park Day Respite Centre Open Morning. Event details here. To enquire, call 07 3028 6100.
Enjoy our monthly eNews
For the best of our blog and more, get ‘Seasons Living’ emailed to you monthly
You may also like