There’s nothing better than a delicious autumn recipe, as we head into the cooler nights and days, and this tart is the perfect place to start.
400g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 sheets frozen, puff pastry, slightly thawed
2 brown onions, finely sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup milk
50g feta, crumbled
2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Toss sweet potato with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and spread out on a lined baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden on the edges.
- Lightly grease a 15 x 35cm rectangular tin and lay pastry sheets, slightly overlapping, into the base of the tin. Trim any excess over the sides.
- Prick the pastry base with a fork, cover with baking paper and fill with pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 15 minutes, until caramelised.
- Add the sugar and vinegar to the pan and cook for a further 3 minutes, or until all liquid has evaporated.
- Spread the onion mixture over the pastry base and top with sweet potato.
- Whisk the egg and milk together and pour over the top.
- Finish with feta and thyme.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until pastry is golden and milk mixture is set.
If you don’t have pie weights, you can use rice instead!