Want to make this traditional Aussie classic, but pushed for time? Check out this easy vanilla slice hack just in time for Australia Day.
This version ensures you won’t be slaving over a hot cooktop to make your vanilla custard filling, leaving more time to put your feet up and enjoy.
2 sheets of puff pastry
600ml thickened cream
300 ml milk
100g packet instant vanilla pudding mix
1 ½ cups icing sugar
1 tbs softened butter
1 tbs boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Lightly grease two baking trays.
- Place a pastry sheet onto each tray and prick with a fork.
- Bake 8-10 mins until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Cool.
- Use an electric mixer to beat together vanilla pudding mix, milk and cream for 3-4 mins until thick and creamy.
- Spread mixture on top of one of the pastry sheets and then put remaining pastry sheet on top.
- Mix together icing ingredients and spread over the top of pastry sheet.
- Set in the fridge for 30 minutes.