Nothing quite says Christmas in Australia like Trifle. While there are many variations of this popular dessert, this recipe with its swiss jam roll and green and red jelly is the one many of us remember from childhood.
This version gets a fruity twist with the addition of mixed berries, including in-season juicy cherries.
1 pack green jelly
1 pack red jelly
250 ml thickened cream
1/4 cup icing sugar mixture
1 tsp vanilla essence
300 g Swiss jam roll
600 g vanilla custard
60 ml liqueur (Baileys or Frangelico are good options)
2 cups mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries and cherries)
- Make the jelly as directed on the box.
- Once set, use a knife to cut the jelly into 3 cm chunks.
- Place the thickened cream into a bowl and whip until thick and then beat in icing sugar and vanilla essence.
- Cut the jam roll into slices 2 cm thick and layer into a large glass bowl.
- Cover with liqueur of your choice.
- Allow to soak for 10 minutes and cover with berries.
- Dollop with cream and custard
- Add the jelly on top and then repeat the process
- Finish with berries on top